Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hunting With Dad! - 2009-

THIS ONE IS FOR YOU DAD!

My dad has been waiting for this post for months now.... and so have I! I had good intentions of posting it right away because we both had the time of our lives and were able to create some great memories together. Better late than never, right dad?

This year I was able to go hunting with my Dad, who has been asking me to put in for a license for years now. I have put it off for the last 7 years because it seems I am either pregnant, nursing or have at least one little baby in tow. But this year I decided not to put it off any longer. Our family has experienced some health scares with our parents this year and I decided that I wanted NO regrets...and it turned out I became addicted to hunting! That makes my Dad smile!

I decided early in the season that I wasn't settling for anything smaller than a 6 point elk and in turn it caused me to hunt clear up to the very last weekend. We saw some amazing elk this year and sad to say that the one I settled on was not the biggest one we saw, but I didn't have a shot at the big one anyway. Dang it! However, just seeing it was amazing enough for me!

What made this hunt extra fun was that all of my brothers were gunning for me to get the biggest elk of the family. To bad that didn't happen, but they were all just as excited and proud as I was and that meant a lot to me!

The thing I will remember most about this day is my Dad saying "You got him, Texie, you got him!" with all the excitment in the world in his voice. And after I shot the second time, seeing the look on his face as he gave me a high five. We had a blast and we were so excited! It will be a memory I will never forget and I will cherish forever! Thanks Dad, but we have many more years left of hunting now, right! I love you!
This is me and Dad on one of the first weekends of hunting. We had just sat down to have some lunch and decided to take a self portrait. I am so posed! I love it!My Dad, Me and my first bull elk!
Down in one shot...dead in two! Don't mess with me!
Dragging the elk out with my father-in-law's 4-wheeler. He must love me to have let me use his baby! Thanks George (Dad)!

I just happened to have caught my Dad in this signature pose! This is really how we felt! What a great day!
Dad said that this was the first time in 20 years he was able to pack an elk our full body. We even winched it onto the trailer full bodied. EASY! That's why I settled for this one! LOL!Lance told me to put the head on the front rack of my 4-wheeler to show it off on the drive home. That was before he decided my elk was smaller than he originally thought it was! Lol! He was proud too, he just has a hard time admitting it to my face...only because he is jealous he hasn't gotten a bigger one than me! Actually, I think he was hoping for record book along with the rest of the guys in the family! Sorry to disappoint you all! LOL! I have to say... I did get lots of looks driving down the interstate this way. I just wanted to post a sign saying..."Yeah, that's right, this girl did shot that elk!" Maybe we should have, DAD!
I can't wait to do this with my kids someday!

1 comment:

  1. I think you have just replaced Annie Oakley in the history books. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete